Advantages / Disadvantages: Kidney Transplantation
- Advantages / Disadvantages: Kidney Transplantation
Kidney transplantation has advantages and disadvantages. See the list below.
- A transplanted kidney works like a normal kidney.
- You may feel healthier and “more normal.”
- You have fewer diet restrictions.
- You won’t need dialysis.
- Patients who successfully go through the selection process have a higher chance of living a longer life.
- It requires major surgery.
- You may need to wait for a donor.
- Your body may reject the new kidney, so one transplant may not last a lifetime.
- You’ll need to take immunosuppressants, which may cause complications.